My observation on Little Cormorant

Scientific Name is Microcarbo Niger - This water bird is black in colour called Neer Kaakai in Tamizh. The bill has its tip in the form of a hook. I have seen them in the small islands in groups in a water body. They are quite fast when it comes to fishing and are the best fishermen. I have noticed this bird fishing at Kurukuthurai, Tirunelveli at close quarters.


I have heard that they were used by fisherman to catch fish. I have read that the Cormorant’s webbed feet, strong wings and streamlined body profile gives its body, the needed design for underwater atheletics. At Vagaikulam near Mannarkoil, Tirunelveli,  I had an opportunity to see them fishing in groups where they form a circle and push the schools of fish to shallow waters.


It is a wonder to watch these gregarious fishermen in coalition swimming in a synchronised manner. I was inspired by their team spirit. They are excellent swimmers and dive deep. They lost the water repelling properties of their feathers for decreasing their buyoancy in water thereby making them pursue the fish. Therefore they cannot be in water for long and have to come out of water after a fishing spree and dry their wings for hours.


Therefore I have often seen them with their wings stretched out for drying which always attracts the attention of a bird watcher.  As a photographer I will never miss an opportunity to picture this amusing scene.   

 - Janani L

Comments